2020 has been a year like none before, a year when the world stopped. There are a few things I learnt that I cannot forget.
1. THE UNIMAGINABLE CAN AND WILL HAPPEN : No one could have ever predicted that the world will grind to a halt.
One cannot control external events in life one can control how one responds to those events.
2. HUMANS CAN ADAPT SOON : The world quickly adapted to the new normal and moved digital. Non essential consumption stopped overnight.
Be flexible, this is going to happen often in the future, entire industries and jobs would get disrupted. One cannot hold on to Ego of the past and not change.
3. WE CAN SURVIVE WITH A LOT LESS : That I could do without buying anything other than essentials for months was a revelation , it was clear that I needed a lot less to survive.
Often we land up buying things we do not need and then stock them to use at some later date . Clutter is stuck energy.
4. CUTTING OUT DAILY COMMUTE SAVED TIME : Locked down travel stopped completely, this resulted in excess time on hand , while some struggled some made best use of the time to self develop.
Cut all non essential travel , it also helps our planet.
5. THERE WAS NO OPTION OTHER THAN GOING DIGITAL : Even those that were reluctant were now forced to go digital. This is a trend that will continue.
Reinvent, Reinvent , Reinvent .
6. REMOTE WORKING WORKS : That I could service clients from across the world has been a plus . All organisations other than those that need physical presence have adapted to remote work.
Interesting thing I notice is that where innovation is needed and deep collaboration is called for teams have started coming together again while the bigger organisations that have process driven work continue remote work.
If you can move to smaller towns with great views , quality of life matters .
8. MORE ME TIME : The time saved on travel did give me lot more time to be with self and reflect , read books , meditate.
Build an inner practice for calm in turbulent times .
Here are a few more tips on things I will follow .
1. Build a contingency fund for emergencies , one cannot predict events that may occur but one can build a reserve that protects against shocks.
So I plan to build a contingency fund besides two years survival fund aside. Before I spend income I will save for contingency, this is the essential.
2. Cut down the non discretionary spends and focus on what is truly important . I have been fascinated by minimalist lifestyle and now I even know it is possible.
3. Invest on experiences, travel places , explore the world post the vaccination. It was something I had postponed , won’t do that again. And travel can be low budget .
4. Make my bucket list of things to do and tick off each one . Life is uncertain don’t wish to die with incomplete dreams.
5. Don’t take life for granted , live every day fully . This is the most important lesson of the pandemic. Live , Love, Leave a Legacy behind.
6. Build inner resilience it is a must , faith , surrender, prayer , meditation are practices I will continue.
7. Keep reinventing and learning new things daily and always be ready for the new world. This is a habit I will never stop.
Finally don’t take life toooo seriously!